Monday, January 3, 2011

Artist commentary: Where do you go?

Where do you go to see art and meet artists?
The members of the Menahga Arts Guild are working toward making
that location closer to home. My answer four years ago would have been
New York City. In 2007, I had my first New York City solo exhibit at
the SOHO20 Gallery. It was exciting, exhausting, and in the end,
empowering. New York is a great place to see art, talk art, and meet
other artists; I pined for New York for an entire year after that.

.
 Tiffany Besonen's Curved Pine Installation, 2008
(Mixed-media Installation: Sewing patterns,
beeswax, wire, Minnesota winter woods)

A year after the NYC show, I pulled the same sculptures out of their plastic boxes,
dragged them into the winter woods on our land, and created outdoor installations
with the connected pear forms. They seemed more at home there, and were so
close for me to revisit! Next, I proceeded to document the changes of the seasons
for a year on the blog. In 2009 I wrote, "What I know now is that I was responding 
to the constant demand upon us all to do and have more without appreciating 
the abundance multiplying around us."

Today, I am more content in the local and excited about the possibilities
for the Menahga Arts Guild. Of course, it is healthy to change perspective by
occasionally traveling or showing work elsewhere, but there is something so
empowering and nourishing about discovering, appreciating, and encouraging
the arts locally.

T. Besonen is one of the Menahga Arts Guild's founding members, has taught art 
in rural Minnesota public schools for 17 years, and has shown her art throughout 
the Midwest and in New York City.

No comments:

Post a Comment